Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Baby Step One

Finally I get around to overcoming my intertia to start building my blog.... thanks to Rajeev, my first boss (always a strong influence) and now a good friend.. He said something quite important yesterday--in writing quality is directly proportional to quantity...and that somewhere struck a chord in me...so here is a first attempt at quantity in the hope that quality will follow.

Honestly speaking, as a consultant in the brand building space, I do have to write original stuff quite a lot..every day you are trying to give form to this abstraction called brand which the owners of the abstraction themselves do not have a coherent point of view on... my job most often is to give it some shape and form and draw some boundaries in which a company can focus on building its reputation and thus its brand... now i need to probably treat my blog as a client and everyday provide it with those contours that over a period of time develop into a well-defined entity..

What can this entity be?

Well it will be about the work I do primarily and the worlds I encounter as a part of that life. It will also be about interesting dimensions of brand building that seem to go unnoticed or rather not celebrated enough. It will also be about the ridiculousness of the buttoned up corporate life (hasn't enough already been said) but I need to put my two bits as well...

So the effort wil be to constantly question and demolish the 'ways of being' corporations have invented for themselves and hopefully in that journey we will doscover some timeless principles to live by...

Have been reading two books by Henry Mintzberg off late- Strategy Safari and Strategy Bites Back-- highly recommend both althought reading the former will more or less ensure that you have read most of the second one as well--there is a lot of repeatition.

He looks at various schools of strategy making like the vision school or the positioning school or the core-competence school etc. and critiques them by highlighting the results they have achived and their limitations as well...

I hope to attempt something similar in the brand building space.

And i invite anyone with a passion for brands to help develop this community...


...and ignore the incoherence till i find my voice!